Use taxis and ride-sharing companies? Check that the driver's photo
Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:00:00 AM
The City regulates both taxis and ride-sharing companies. Before getting into a ride-share vehicle, check that the driver's photo on the app matches the driver in the vehicle and that the licence plate number given matches the one on the vehicle. Only taxis are permitted to pick-up passengers hailing a taxi on the street and to use designated taxi stands. Know before you ride.
The City regulates both taxis and private transportation companies (PTCs), such as Uber and Lyft, for safety and consumer protection. Below are the top 10 things that you should know.
- When using a PTC, check that the photo of the driver matches driver in vehicle and the licence plate on the app matches the licence plate on the vehicle.
Only taxis are permitted to pick-up passengers from the street via “street hail” and use designated taxi stands. All PTC rides must be booked through an app.
- Taxis display their taxi plate on the rear of the vehicle, with the number posted on the side door, and have a roof light. PTCs must display an identifying sign in their rear window.
- When you hail a taxi from the street, or are picked up at a taxi stand, the driver must activate the meter and charge the City-regulated rate.
- Taxi drivers must provide service to the first person who requests it, no matter how small the fare.
- Drivers cannot refuse service to any person with a disability. This includes a person accompanied by a service animal.
- Taxi drivers must provide airport flat rate maps upon request.
- PTCs or taxis booked through a brokerage may charge you with a rate different than the City-regulated rate. You must agree to accept the price before starting your trip.
- Be sure to check for cyclists when entering or exiting a cab or PTC vehicle.
- Taxi and PTC drivers and vehicles must meet City standards for criminal background checks, driving history checks, and be equipped with snow tire or all-weather tires from December 1 to April 30.