Cut, paste and explore! The AGO has your recipe for an art-filled Family Day and March Break
Wednesday, 06 February 2019 02:34.PM
Gallery announces special hours for Family Day and March Break; discounted family passes available online now.
This winter, the secret ingredient for artful family fun is the AGO! Drop-in programming for all ages takes over the museum this Family Day and March Break, and to accommodate all the dancing, karaoke singing, zine writing, collage art, paper food making and recipe sharing, the AGO is offering up special hours.
Normally closed on Mondays, the AGO will be open on Family Day (Monday Feb. 18) from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Beginning on Saturday, March 9 (with a special opening on Monday, March 11), the AGO will open for nine straight days of March Break programming. All drop-in programs and activities are included with the price of regular admission.
Visitors can save $10 off the cost of a family pass on both Family Day and March Break when they purchase tickets online in advance at www.ago.ca. AGO members always receive free admission.
FAMILY DAY (February 18, 2019)
Inspired by the larger-than-life artworks on view in Mickalene Thomas: Femmes Noires, it's a collage party of epic proportions this Family Day at the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). With activities taking over the entire museum, here’s a taste of what you can do:
- Learn some cool new moves at our all-day dance party led by house dancers from FlowHer House Collective. New classes will be starting every hour in Walker Court, beginning at 11 a.m.
- Take a break from all the dancing action and check out the art of Maddy Mathews, on view in Walker Court.
- Create your own collage masterpiece during the all-day collage party happening in the Dr. Anne Tanenbaum Gallery School.
- DIY time! Create your very own ‘zine’ with guidance from Jonathan Valelly, editor of legendary Toronto literary magazine Broken Pencil.
- Hit all the right notes in our family karaoke lounge in Gallery Italia and sip on a colour changing lemonade.
- Head to the AGO’s Weston Family Learning Centre and create your own puzzle, build and rebuild your very own ready-made sculpture or take a break and recharge your batteries in the quiet zone.
MARCH BREAK (March 9 – 17, 2019)
This March Break, join AGO artists in residence Natalie Ferguson and Toby Gillies for nine straight days of art-making fun, as they present Secret Ingredient, an interactive artmaking feast in Walker Court. The Winnipeg-based art duo invites visitors of all ages to create paper versions of their favourite foods, share recipes and stage their own food photos, before proudly displaying their creations on a massive banquet table.
Many activities are inspired by the upcoming exhibition Impressionism in the Age of Industry: Monet, Pissarro and more and will take over the entire museum every day from 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Here are some of the additional activities on offer:
- Join the paper plane party and customize, fold and decorate paper airplanes and colourful flying spinners – then launch them from the Gallery School balcony!
- Feel the need for speed on the AGO racetrack and use mini-putt sticks to push your ball over the finish line in Galleria Italia.
- Get creative and decorate your very own paper boat, then put your craftsmanship to the test and see if you can make it float.
- Visit the AGO’s Weston Family Learning Centre to join in on the table sized colouring mural, or take a family-friendly tour departing every hour.
For more details on how to book tickets or for programming details, be sure to visit www.ago.ca.
- 27-Jul-2021 12:23 AM 2021 AGO. Explore Warhol’s the most famous artworks (4K, images)
- 26-Jul-2021 11:27 PM 🖼️ 2021 AGO. Explore Warhol’s the most famous artworks
- 20-Feb-2019 06:35 AM 🖼️ 2019 AGO. Impressionism in the Age of Industry
- 19-Feb-2019 09:45 PM 2019 AGO. Impressionism in the Age of Industry (4K, images)
- 31-Jan-2019 01:30 PM A new AGO exhibition shows Impressionism unlike you’ve seen it before
- 13-Apr-2013 03:03 PM 2013 AGO. Secrets of Early Renaissance EX at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 15-Mar-2013 06:13 PM 2013 AGO. Early Renaissance EX. Revealing at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 15-Mar-2013 10:20 AM 🖼️ 2013 AGO. Early Renaissance EX. Revealing
- 14-Mar-2013 06:13 AM 🖼️ 2013 AGO. Secrets of the Early Renaissance EX
- 13-Mar-2013 09:13 AM 🖼️ 2013 AGO. Explore the Early Renaissance EX
- 13-Mar-2013 08:09 AM 2013 AGO. Explore the Early Renaissance EX at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 18-Oct-2012 08:40 PM 2012 AGO. Frida & Diego: Passion, Politics and Painting at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 18-Oct-2012 10:43 AM 🖼️ 2012 AGO. Frida and Diego: Passion, Politics and Painting EX
- 17-Oct-2012 02:17 AM 🖼️ 2012 AGO. Frida and Diego: Passion, Politics and Painting EX. Preview
- 17-Oct-2012 01:25 AM 2012 AGO. Frida & Diego: Passion, Politics and Painting Preview at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 21-Sep-2012 07:54 AM 🖼️ 2012 AGO. Evan Penny's Realistic Sculptures
- 21-Sep-2012 01:57 AM 2012 AGO. Evan Penny's realistic sculptures at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 21-Sep-2012 01:52 AM 🖼️ 2012 AGO. Evan Penny: Re Figured
- 21-Sep-2012 01:21 AM 2012 AGO. Evan Penny Ex Re Figured at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 19-Oct-2011 12:25 AM 2011 AGO. Chagall and the Russian Avant-Garde at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 19-Oct-2011 12:24 AM 🖼️ 2011 AGO. Mark Chagall and the Russian Avant-Garde
- 28-Jul-2011 10:12 PM 🖼️ 2011 AGO. Haute Culture: General Idea. A Retrospective, 1969 – 1994
- 28-Jul-2011 07:33 PM 2011 AGO. Haute Culture: General Idea Exhibition at the Art Gallery of Ontario (HD, images)
- 29-May-2011 11:13 AM 🖼️ 2011 AGO. Abstract Expressionist New York: Masterpieces from The Museum of Modern Art
- 29-May-2011 11:10 AM 2011 AGO. Abstract Expressionist New York at the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) (HD, images)
- 21-Sep-2009 08:28 PM 🖼️ 2009 Tut Mania. shopAGO Gets in the KING TUT Spirit
- 15-Nov-2008 05:46 PM 🖼️ 2008 AGO. Opening Ceremony
- 14-Nov-2008 05:33 PM 2008 Art Galery of Ontario Opening Ceremony (HD, images)